20 apples (or whatever fits)
1 good teaspoon or so of cinnamon (based on your liking)
1/3 -1/2 cup honey (more or less based on the amount of apples and how sweet you like it)
good splash of lemon juice
splash of vanilla extract
1 (or so) cups of apple cider - use water or apple juice if you don't have cider
- We peel and slice the apples about 20 (or whatever fits it your crockpot), I use Macs and Cortlands, but a combo of whatever you have works!
- My kids love to help and us the apple peeler (the old fashioned kind with the handle) makes it fun to have little helpers and it makes them love the final product even more
- Throw all the apples in the crockpot and toss with your cinnamon and a splash or so of lemon juice (feel free to add nutmeg, allspice, or gloves if you like a little more spice.. :-)
- Fill the crockpot with 1 cup or so of fresh local apple cider (might need a little more based on the size of apples)
- Put the cover on the crockpot and let them cook on low for about 5 or 6 hours.
- Towards the end, mix in your honey and a splash of vanilla extract
- By this point it should be saucy, but will still have lots of chunks- I usually set some aside for myself as I like it chunky, but my kids like it smooth, so I'll either just use a masher and mash it up by hand, or if I'm filling the snack packs, I'll use an immersion blender or just throw it all in the Vitamix to get it smooth
- I usually fill some snack packs and then store the rest in mason jars in the fridge
Happy Fall everyone!! Enjoy!!
Thanks for stopping by!