* Whole Foods Story Hour- again check your local store, but in Portland, ME its Monday mornings at 9:45am
* Library Story Times and activities- check your local library for fun offerings!
* Sledding! - There are some great hills for sledding in Greater Portland including Payson Park, Val Halla Golf Course, Pineland Center
* Outdoor ice skating (many outdoor rinks are free or very minimal charge) -Free minus the fact that you need skates (but head to your local resale store for those :-) Click here for the New England Outdoor rink directory
* Snowshoeing- obviously requires snow shoes, but look for them used! There are great trails at Pineland Center in New Gloucester, ME as well as at Pratts Brook in
* Maine Crooked Houses Play Port at the Maine Mall
* LL Bean- between the fish tanks, play house, color station and chalkboard, there's plenty of fun to be had, and on most weekdays you'll have plenty of space...
* Mid-week Free Movies- Many movie theatres offer free showings of older kids movies. Smitty's Cinema has a great Mom & Me lunchtime movie series every other Wednesday at their Biddeford, Sanford,Tilton, & Windham locations...
* Home Depot Kids Workshops - Home Depot offers free kids workshops usually on the first Saturday of the month. Call your local store or check the website.
* Look for free special events or trial programs- many times, especially in the first part of the year, local organizations and programs offer special events or free trials to build interest. Here are a few happenings in Southern Maine:
- YMCA of Southern Maine is allowing folks to try the Y free until 2/19/14.
- Maine Audubon’s Winter Carnival & Open House- Great Maine Outdoor Weekend.
- Maine Maple Syrup Sunday
- First Friday Art Walk- Children's Museum Admission is just $2 from 5-8pm
Another great way to cut our costs has been to fully embrace memberships that we already have... .i.e. the YMCA.. We've always had a membership for swim classes, and the gym etc. but I've recently been embracing all of their offerings! So instead of taking gym classes and such elsewhere for a couple hundred, we've done movement classes and mommy & me yoga classes etc all which has been free with our membership, or have averaged to less than $2/class. We also have encouraged family to give the kids activities vs. stuff when it comes time to presents etc... So we have been thoroughly enjoying their Christmas present of a
What are your favorite outings with no cost?